Museums in the 21st Century: Concepts Projects Buildings is a follow-up exhibition of the highly successful exhibition Museums for a New Millennium: Concepts, Projects, Buildings, which travelled to numerous museums throughout Europe, North America, Japan and Korea.
This exhibition is a reflection on the undiminished museum building boom since 2000, in the construction of new museums and in the renovation and expansion of existing institutions.
Museums in the 21st Century: Concepts Projects Buildings presents the most important trends in museum architecture, illustrated by 27 of the world’s leading museum building projects realized since the turn of the century, thereby documenting the increasing international exchange. All projects are represented by a carefully made selection of sketches and architectural plans, photographs and models, as well as multimedia displays.
A highlight in the itinerary as well as in the exhibition itself is the Museum Island in Berlin, or to be more precise, the Pergamon Museum. The Museum Island is the most ambitious and challenging museum project to date in Europe in the 21st century, and therefore, a most suitable host location for the exhibition.
The catalogue is published by Prestel Publishing, Munich, and includes four introductory essays on the general situation of museum construction in Europe, the United States, Japan and Australia, written by Dr. Gottfried Knapp, Munich (Europe), Dr. James Russell, New York (USA), Prof. Hiroyuki Suzuki, Tokyo (Japan) and Prof. Leon Paroissien, Canberra (Australia).
Museums in the 21st Century: Concepts Projects Buildings is available for 10- to 12-week periods per venue.
The European tour started in April 2006. It is followed by a North American tour beginning March 2009.
Exhibition open for booking.
An Art Centre Basel production.
Curators: Suzanne Greub, Christine Gisi
- Anamorphosis Architects: Museum of the Hellenic World, Athens, Greece
- Ando, Tadao: Chichu Art Museum, Naoshima, Kagawa, Japan
- Aoki, Jun: Aomori Museum of Art, Aomori, Aomori Prefecture, Japan
- atelier brückner, ART+COM: New conception of the BMW museum, Munich, Germany
- Ban, Shigeru / de Gastines, Jean: Centre Pompidou Metz, Metz, Lothringen, France
- Botta, Mario, MART: Museo di Arte Moderna e Contemporanea di Trento e Rovereto, Rovereto, Italy
- Braunfels, Stephan: Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich, Germany
Chipperfield, David: Museumsinsel Berlin (Masterplan), Berlin, Germany
1. David Chipperfield Eingangsgebäude und Archäologische Promenade
2. David Chipperfield Neues Museum
3. Hilmer & Sattler und Albrecht Altes Museum
4. H.G. Merz Alte Nationalgalerie
5. Heinz Tesar Bodemuseum
6. Oswald Mathias Ungers Pergamonmuseum
- Cloepfil, Brad / Allied Works Architecture: University of Michigan Art Museum, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
- Coop Himmelb(l)au: Musée des Confluences, Lyon, France
- Denton Corker Marshall Group: Stonehenge Visitor Centre and Interpretive Museum, Wiltshire, UK
- Diller Scofidio + Renfro: Eyebeam, New York, NY, USA
- Gehry, Frank O.: The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, USA
- Gigon, Annette / Guyer, Mike: Varusschlacht im Osnabrücker Land GmbH, Museum und Park Kalkriese, Bramsche-Kalkriese, Germany
- Hadid, Zaha: MAXXI - Museo Nazionale delle Arti del XXI secolo, Rome, Italy
- Holl, Steven: Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art expansion, Kansas City, MO, USA
- Kurokawa, Kisho: The National Art Center, Tokyo, Japan
- Libeskind, Daniel: Extension of the Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO, USA
- Maki, Fumihiko: Shimane Museum of Ancient Izumo, Shimane, Japan
- Nouvel, Jean: Musée du quai Branly, Paris, France
- Renzo Piano Building Workshop: Zentrum Paul Klee, Bern, Switzerland
- Spacelab, Peter Cook / Colin Fournier: Kunsthaus Graz am Landesmuseum Joanneum, Graz, Austria
- Taniguchi and Associates: Expansion of the Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY, USA
- Bernard Tschumi Architects with Michael Photiadis, ARSY, Athens: The New Acropolis Museum, Athens, Greece
- UN Studio, Ben van Berkel / Caroline Bos: Mercedes Benz Museum, Stuttgart, Germany
- Viñoly, Rafael: Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
- Wood / Marsh Pty Ltd. Architecture: ACCA, Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia